Rajapinta is a researcher community and a scientific association focused on digital social sciences. Rajapinta advocates the social scientific study of ICT and ICT applications to social research in Finland. We are based in Finland and our activities take place both in Finnish and English.
The short-term goal of the association is to improve collaboration and provide opportunities for meetings and networking; in the long term, we aim to reach the official status of a learned society in Finland.
You can join the association by submitting a membership application. For now, there are no annual membership fees nor a joining fee. If you require assistance or need help, contact us via membership at rajapinta.co.
Rajapinta mailing list and Slack
To join our mailing list send an email to: discussion+subscribe at rajapinta.co
Despite the name, the list is mainly for information sharing purposes, CFP’s and event notices. To send a message to everyone on the list, send an email to discussion at rajapinta.co
For discussion, we have our own Slack platform, where members can join various existing channels and also found their own. Invitation link has been sent to all members, but in case you need one, send an email to membership at rajapinta.co.
We organize open meetups approximately once a month. They can be used to discuss research topics and choices of methods, as well as read and comment others’ work. See https://www.facebook.com/pg/RajapintaCo/events/ for upcoming seminars. Rajapinta members are also welcome to present their work at the meetups, or organise their own meetup on a topic that fits Rajapinta’s agenda. If you want to get involved, contact: meetup at rajapinta.co. Rajapinta also gives financial support to events organized by its members through the Community action mechanism.
Rajapintapäivät (Rajapinta Days) is our open and free annual unconference. The event is open for all interested in the study of digital society and digital methods. See more from https://wiki.helsinki.fi/display/rajapintapaivat
We thank Kone Foundation for their support for these activities.
Rajapinta blog publishes the association members’ blog posts that discuss themes related to the association’s field: social science perspectives to information technologies and digital/computational data and methods in social sciences. If you have ideas for potential texts, contact Rajapinta blog editors 2021 at toimitus at rajapinta.co. Instructions for writers and more details about the publishing process can be found here.
Each year, Rajapinta awards two (or more) monetary thesis awards for excellent Master’s thesis that are
- social science motivated studies of information technologies
- social science research with information technology supported methodology
Proposals from all fields of study as well as from all Finnish universities are welcome.
- membership at rajapinta.co – Membership related issues
- toimitus at rajapinta.co – Want to write about your research on the Rajapinta blog?
- meetup at rajapinta.co – Want to present your research at our monthly meetings? Any questions about the participation in these events?
- money at rajapinta.co – Billing Rajapinta ry – remember to reference who you interacted with (our reference) to make the billing quick to process
- chair at rajapinta.co – All other matters
c/o Margareta Salonen
PL 35 (Seminaarinkatu 15, Athenaeum 317.3)
40014 Jyväskylän yliopisto
Information about the association
We are a Finnish association, Finnish Associations Act (Yhdistyslaki) and our charter (yhdistyksen säännöt). The official language of the association is Finnish. The association ID is 218.923 and further information of the association is provided in the government’s information system.
Executive Committee (2021)
- Margareta Salonen (chair, University of Jyväskylä)
- Veikko Eranti (University of Helsinki)
- Elisa Kannasto (University of Vaasa / Seinäjoen AMK / Tampere University)
- Janne Matikainen (University of Helsinki)
- Erkki Mervaala (SYKE/University of Helsinki)
- Anna Rantasila (Tampere University)
- Teemu Ruokolainen (Tampere University)
- Minna Saariketo (Stockholm University)
- Laura Savolainen (University of Helsinki)
- External treasurer: Marjoriikka Ylisiurua (University of Helsinki)
Personal email addresses are format firstname.lastname at rajapinta.co.
Name lists of old committees can be found here.